Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Tale of 2 Shopping Trips

This last week we've been on a few notable shopping excursions. Last Saturday, Kevan, Jess, and I were joined by Shon and Kirsten and a couple of friends from church, and we went to the fabric market in downtown Cairo. What a place! Shop after tiny little shop of nothing but fabric. The narrow streets formed quite a maze (I will neither confirm nor deny that I was the one who led us right out of it, and I will neither confirm nor deny that Kevan had no clue where we were) (I will, however, totally rat out Shon and tell you that he got totally lost, and we had to wait 15 minutes for him to find his way out ;) but we all found some great fabric. In a lot of ways it reminded me of the fabric district in L.A., except dirtier, in that it seemed like the bulk of the fabric for sale was upholstery-type fabric, but truly, we barely scratched the surface; who knows what we would have found if we had delved deeper into the place. We were after fabric to make duvet covers for the girls' room, and found some cute embroidered cotton to use. The man selling it thought Jessica was just the cutest thing. He asked her if she was thirsty, and she told him, "no," but he still went and got her a bottle of cold water, and insisted she take it. He was delighted when she accepted it and started to drink from it. He gave us a pretty good price on the fabric, too. We also got some cute fabric to make Jess a few skirts, and I got to practice my negotiating skills. I had told Kevan that he was supposed to stay by me (what with him speaking the language and me not so much), but he kept getting distracted by, I dunno, shiny things? so I was on my own a few times. I think I did OK though.

When we were waiting by our cab for Shon and Kirsten to make their way out of the market, young boys selling socks kept coming up to us and trying to get us to buy them (as they were all throughout the market). There was also a slightly older boy (maybe 11 or 12) standing at the food cart we were near who was looking at us and who, at one point, asked me the time. After a little while of standing there we realized that this boy had sort of become our protector and was shooing away all the little sock boys and keeping the other vendors away from us. When we were finally leaving, he walked along the side of the car and was blowing kisses at Jessica and Megan (not our Megan, but a friend of Jessie's from church) who were sitting in the back seat. We've been teasing them more than a little bit about that.

This is the only picture we remembered to take. It is at the beginning of the market, but we took it when we were on our way out. My favorite part of it is the guy in blue walking past us. I'm pretty sure his facial expression reads somewhere along the lines of, "Crazy American tourists!"
After we left the market, we went to lunch at the same Lebanese restaurant we went to after our visit to the museum. Jess and I were intrigued by this sign on the street outside it, and are hoping that the fest it is advertising makes a return appearance this year. That is most definitely my kind of fest.
Megan and her mom had the grilled shrimp for lunch, and it was no namby-pamby curled up little shrimp, thank you very much. Those puppers were still in their shells with eyeballs and everything. So, of course, we had some of the obligatory Messing Around with Gross Things. I am only showing you the tamest of the pictures. You are welcome.
Then on Wednesday, Kevan and I took a cab to a local store called Carrefour. I have been once before with some people from church, and it is quite the experience. The first person that told me about it said, "It's kind of like Walmart." And then the person I went with said, "What have you heard about this place? That's it's kind of like Walmart? Because it's nothing like Walmart." As we were wandering through it this time, I realized what it is that it is like. You know how there's Walmart and then there's Super Walmart? And how Super Walmart is bigger, has more stuff, and also food? Well, Carrefour is like a Super All-a-Dollar. Tons of random stuff, no guarantee that it will be the same stuff twice (or in the same place), and also food.

This is a shot of the outside, from our cab:
The building that it's in also has a mall in it, with all the kinds of stores you would expect to find in a mall, but each with a decidedly Arab twist. My favorite part of these stores is the mannequins. Some day I will be brave enough to take some pictures of them for you. It will be worth the wait.

I did manage to snap a couple of shots of come our favorite products that we found inside Carrefour itself.

Holly, I don't care how hard you beg, I am not buying you this for Christmas:
This was really hard not to buy:
These last couple of shots are from the cab on the way home.

We never did see what it was that was pulling this cart:
You can't see it very well, but in that little pick-up truck in front of us, there are about 1o men crammed in the back:

10 comments:

mamaholstein said...

I think that guy was thinking "Oh no!!! I didn't think anyone would see me out in my jammies!" Looks like you all are doing great. I love your blog. It's fun to see all of your goings on.

Jeff said...

Well, it looks like you are all having a fabulous time and lots of adventures! I'm hoping that you are able to attend Chocofest Cairo 6 and that is is a splendid event to stuff yourselves full of tasty Cadbury chocolates (yum, Lion Bars, Dairy Milk, etc). As for the Carrefour, that is great, they have those all over France, I didn't realize that they also are in Egypt, fun fun fun!

Unknown said...

wow! so first of all as I am reading the blog and i scroll down to the pictures of jessica at the dinner table with the ugly shrimp thing, Bruno sees her picture as he is walking by, does a double take and says, "that looks just like you!" and obviously he means like i DID when i was her age. I squinted my eyes a little and cocked my head and yeah... she does look like I used to (only she is prettier and has better teeth than I did). I only have this image in my head because Teri showed us their honeymoon video in alaska a few weeks ago when we ate sunday dinner with them.
Ok second thing: They have Carrefour in BRAZIL! Bruno thinks its actually a Brazilian chain, but who knows... They have them everywhere and you described it perfectly "Super All-A-Dollar". oh and p.s. that man in blue giving you weird looks looks like he was in his pajamas. normal?

Brent and Emily said...

Of all of the "Fests" to participate in, I believe Chocofest would be the top on my list. I picture sort of a Willy Wonka type thing and I would probably just go around taking bites out of things. Did you ever see that Simpsons where Homer was dreaming about living in a land of chocolate? Mmmm...chocolate...

Anyway, yay for cheap fabric!

I love you tons!!!

Brent and Emily said...

P.S. They have Carrefour in Rio. Brent has told me about them before. The one he went to also had a post office and they were also selling cars?

Katie said...

You guys have awesome adventures! I love the picture of Jake shoving a fully clothed shrimp in Jess's face. Ha ha ha. The kids are awesome!

Anne N said...

I love that picture of you and Jess! Also, I think Holly would TOTALLY love the festive washing machine cover.

Glad you're doing well!

Wendi said...

Thanks for sharing your continued adventures. I too would be fond of the Chocofest and also think that washing machine cover is the perfect gift for Holly. Had her name written all over it! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I love reading your blog. My Annabelle is obsessed with Egypt lately, so you can imagine her excitement to see someone I knew who actually lives there!

Unknown said...

Sara, you're an AWESOME! writer. I went in actually just to browse the pictures and see how hot you guys must look (and I meant by that how hot the temperature must be, as in sweaty hot) but got drawn in with your ever-so-witty writing style. I ended up reading the whole thing --i loved hearing about your adventures. You don't need to respond to individual comments -- looks to me like you spend an awful lot of time writing this stuff down...is Kevan actually doing any contributing? :) We miss you guys terribly. Sasha pines for Emma often. Much love. Rochelle