Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Christmas nuthin'!

I'd wager that most mothers would tell you that the first day of school is waaay better!

Our 8th grader:

Jake the 6th grader:
Emma, Miss 3rd Grade:

And introducing, our newest Kindygartener! (A.k.a., I am now 4/5ths of the way to livin' the dream.)

I had to have an intervention and fix her hair. While the above 'do is cute, she still hasn't mastered the art of hairbrushing. Plus I wanted to get her hair off her neck, sensing perhaps she might get a little, shall we say, warm today.
Sam, not starting school (only 36 more months to go!), but still wanting to get in on the picture fun:

He really wanted to show the camera Daddy's bike:
We were all going to walk to school, but Megan and Emma really wanted to ride the bus (plus the older two needed to be there a little earlier than the bus would get them there for 1st day instruction stuff), so we went in two parties. This is the Walking Contingency setting off:
And this is the We Somehow Think That a School Bus is Going to Be Cooler (As in Temperature, Not Social Status) group, waiting for their ride (clearly, neither has ever been on a school bus before):
Getting on board:
This is Megan at the end of her day, next to her cubby, holding her day's art project. I think the hair-off-the-neck was a good call, don't you?
We have a tradition in our family that we go out to eat for dinner on the first day of school, and that the Kindergartener (if there is one) gets to choose where. This evening's schedule--between the mountain of paperwork to deal with (I can now confirm to you that it is a worldwide phenomenon: they have not yet discovered a way to keep you from having to fill out the SAME FORM for every child)(maybe someone will someday invent something that would make an exact replica, perhaps a "copy," of said form so as to cut down on both useless repitition and hand cramps, but that's just the dreamer in me talking), first day homework, and a youth activity Jessie needed to get to--we just didn't have time to go out. So instead Megan chose a distinctly Egyptian dining experience: McDonald's! "Wha?" I hear you say, "What's Egyptian about McDonald's?" Oh but I will tell you, gentle reader.

They delivered it:
Taken from our balcony. Yes, that's really a McDonald's delivery scooter. Hmm, perhaps I am already livin' the dream...

14 comments:

Katie said...

Jessie looks beautiful and the other kids all look so good too! They look just wonderful! I'm so excited about their new school, what an awesome experience. Between the commissery of dreams and the mcdonald's scooter, how could I NOT be jealous?? That's not even taking into account the super sweet gas prices!

Ang said...

Not a fan of McDonalds, but that delivery scooter is AWESOME. Your kids are so grown up! And so stinkin' cute!

Anonymous said...

I have two weeks before our blessed event of back to school! All kids in all day school - I've been weeping for joy! Your kids are ADORABLE! And McDonald's that delivers...can we come for a visit next month? ;)

Kelly said...

What a day! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos - is it still 36 months away for Sam and Alessandra? MAN, that is long.

We registered today - our Kindergartener will be following the footsteps of Megan REAL soon (like 2 weeks to go). CAN'T WAIT - it is better than Christmas.

And, I think maybe you should stop with the kids. I don't think you would have luck making any more attractive ones - these 5 got all the good genes! :) hehehe.

Love you all!

Camille Farias said...

They look so adorable, or in Jessie's case- cool. :) And if you think the paperwork is a beast for the parents, imagine the teachers! Let's just say I'll be pulling a few all-nighters next week. Sheesh! I wonder if we can get this McDonald's delivery thing to catch on here in the states?
Yay for back to school! Love ya!

Natalie Rose said...

Hi Sara! I pop on your blog every now and again--your life is so much more exciting than mine here in WA! Actually, I just love to read your commentaries. Thanks for ending my day with a good laugh! I'm totally onboard with the McDucks delivery--then you can completely avoid the "no, no, no, we are not going to play in the disgusting play place full of filth and germs, no!" conversation that we have every time we even drive past the blessed golden arches! And, yes, I am a little paranoid about germs! Anyway, what a great opportunity for you and yours--tell them all "hello" from the Roses. Harlan still talks about what an awesome Lego builder Jake is. Congrats on 4/5 in school. I'm only halfway there, but counting down. Between the dinner delivery and the Commissary beyond my wildest dreams, you made my night!
Best wishes, Natalie Rose

Jarad said...

I hope they all had a great day at school. We start on Monday, we are all counting the days.
Wow, Jessica looks so beautiful and so grown up! Kevan watch out for those boys.
And YEAH for Megan! --Rochelle

Jaime said...

I love the pictures! How exciting! Gavin loves to look on your blog and see Emma! He still says she is his girlfriend. Funny.

Wendi said...

Mahvelous job at documenting the first day of school. Your kids all look great and I'm glad to hear it was such a successful first day. (Sorry to hear that all the blasted paper work still abounds in another country, though!) :)

melissa said...

Jessie looks way too grown up and gahgeous. The others all look cute, too. Congrats on school being back in session. And on only having one at home. And how cool is that MickeyD's delivery. I might actually eat their food more than once in a blue moon if they delivered, since I'm willing to eat just about any food that shows up at my door. You really are livin' the dream, girl!

gunnarson said...

Sara, I love your writing! You are hilarious. Jessica looks SO grown up! I love that Sam wanted in on the action too :) How funny that you took that picture from your balcony! I love it! Oh and I just noticed that the commissary sign says "Where your dreams come true"... that is too funny.

Nancy said...

Congratulations on having the kids back in school again! :)

Your blog is hilarious, by the way. Andrew's trying to read a book and I keep calling him back to look at pictures (mostly of Emmy) and read excerpts. So funny!

Randi said...

Holy Schmoly Jess, you're gorgeous girl! Good thing you've got a tough dad to keep all those boys at bay :)
I finally got back to Monterey and a computer. It's GREAT being able to catch up on all things Lewis. Looks like you guys are rocking the Casbah and generally making your presence felt. Miss you THIS MUCH!!!

Marshall and Alison said...

Sara, your family is so beautiful. But really, what did I expect when their mom looks like you, right? Love you! Alison