For the last 6 weeks or so, Jessie has been playing on a basketball team at school, and last week we trooped on over to the school to watch what ended up being their only home game.
Here she is, #55:She was fouled twice and got to shoot 4 free throws. Sorry it's blurry; a sports photographer I am not.
And here she is in action. Yes, she is related to me, ergo, she is all leg. The dream of her life has been to get taller than Aunt Katie, Kevan's little sister (I am showing great restraint making no commentary whatsoever about that adjective I just used), who is 5'2". When we went to Utah in March during Spring Break (and the first time in over a year that we had seen Katie), Jess was anxious to measure herself against Kate to see if her wishes had come true. Alas (and alack), she was half an inch shy of her goal. At the end of May, she had her annual physical, where the nurse measured her and pronounced her to be 5'3". I think there was squealing involved (from Jess, not the nurse). I said to her, "So I take it that all you've been doing for last two months is squeezing your eyes shut and saying, 'Grow grow grow!'" Then in August, she had to be measured for her health class, and she was 5'4". Just now I put her up to the tape measure and it said 5'4 3/4". Needless to say, I think she's living her dream. Sorry, Kate. Heck, she's closing in on Aunt Kristen now. That was a really long lead-in to a picture. It's a good picture though. Worth the wait. Those long legs are very useful for getting down the court quickly.
I thought for sure that Sam would looove the game, since besides numbers, his main love is throwing and/or kicking balls. I was wrong. He spent most of the game like this:
Want to know why he was so unhappy? Because HE didn't get to play. The hollering you can imagine that was coming out of his very loud mouth was along the lines of, "THAM!"--he has a lisp, remember--"TURN! HOOOOOOOOOOOP! THAM! HOOOOOOOOOP!" That translates roughly to, "GIVE ME THE BALL!" Roughly. He calls a basketball a "hoop," fyi. A soccer ball is a "bid! shawtaw! bame!" ("big soccer game")(he speaks as if every word is its own sentence)(yes, all the time), a football is a "foopaw," a baseball is a "bayth-baw," and a tennis ball is a "pep-uth baw." Now you know. He loves them all. Loves. So you can imagine his severe disappointment at not being able to suit up and join the team. Because of this, after the half we spent the rest of the game like this:
I guess if things don't work out with Jessie's basketball career and therefore our chances of resting on her financial laurels, we can always hope that Sam will turn out to be the Bo Jackson he seems to be gearing up to become.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Our Retirement Plan
Posted by Sara at 8:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Somehow, I've ended up with a daughter much like yours in the height department. But despite many a basketball and track coach wishin' she would- she's just not interested in sports. The closest we could get is tennis, but even recently that has fallen out of favor.
Our son is finally showing interest in football, he likes the slamming into people part- I guess he'll play defense? Before this my DH was sure he had no sports abilities because he wasn't rabid and keeping stats along with the games when he was 5.
Tham makes me laugh. Whenever Rachel speaks she speaks in one-word-exclamation-mark sentences, too. I think she just wants to be like Same.
Ummm...the checker board story should probably be shared. I think it's hilarious.
Oh, and "Go, Jess, Go!"
I admire any girl who can aim a basketball. I can't.
I wonder if everything Jess does is what Eliza will be doing in 5 years? Grow, Jess, Grow! I worked hard and my younger sister still beat me out by 2 inches! And my younger brother by 5 1/2! But after them, then it's me!
Yay Jessie! That picture of her sprinting down the court is NUTS! I can't believe those legs! I love that she is good at it, and I'm glad I could be a source of happiness and accomplishment--even if it is at my expense! ;) I remember being traumatized that fateful day in 8th grade when I was having knee problems and the only thing the doctor could tell me was that my growth plates were closed. Sad day...I love seeing all the things the kids are up to! Love you guys!!
Yay Jessie! That picture of her sprinting down the court is NUTS! I can't believe those legs! I love that she is good at it, and I'm glad I could be a source of happiness and accomplishment--even if it is at my expense! ;) I remember being traumatized that fateful day in 8th grade when I was having knee problems and the only thing the doctor could tell me was that my growth plates were closed. Sad day...I love seeing all the things the kids are up to! Love you guys!!
Tham's pronunciation is highly entertaining. (As is his mom's writing.) That's great that your daughter plays basketball. It's my favorite sport. I love to go out on the driveway and shoot hoops with my daughter, who is also growing quite tall these days.
Post a Comment