I visited the Great Mosque in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates. It was amazing. The most striking thing about it was the combination of simplicity and intricate detail. In that regard, the building itself reminded me of LDS temples.
Here are the pictures.
In this view from the highway you can see the ongoing landscaping construction.
From the courtyard looking toward the side wall.
Domes above main hall.

Inlay detail of one of the smaller domes along the courtyard.
Chandelier and dome inlay in the atrium to the main hall.
More ceiling detail.
Stained glass window between the main hall and the atrium.
Vinework in the atrium to the main hall.
Pillars surronding secondary domes in main hall.
Handy prayer clock that flashed the name of each prayer and the time it will begin that day.
Reflecting pools on the exterior.
Me standing in the courtyard. Proof that I was really there.
Friday, November 28, 2008
Great Mosque, Abu Dhabi
Posted by Kevan at 7:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Those are some sweet pictures Kev! I love the contrast of the white building against the deep blue sky. Really really cool. Totally jealous of the cool things you guys are seeing!
Wow! What a beautiful mosque! I've never been to the Taj Mahal, but this actually looks like it might rival it.
Is that blasphemous to say?
Wow, those are amazing! I loved seeing them. I've loved all of the 'homework' posts too, so funny! Thanks for keeping up your blog so I can get a laugh every now and then, you two have such great senses of humor! Hope all is well.
Wow. Abu Dhabi is on our short list. I just had some friends send pictures of their visit to that mosque earlier this week. I hadn't ever seen it before and now twice in one week.
I'm speechless. They are amazing pictures. Thanks for the beauty. Lucky you. Wow! I'm happy you get to have all these great things happen.
I have a large knot in my chest and my eyes our filled with tears. Thank you so much for letting so many people be able to view this on your blog. this is such a treat to see. Love, Sarah Laflan
That last picture? Totally photo shopped. Thanks for sharing anyway :)
Gorgeous. Did Sara die when she saw all of the beautiful symmetry?
Those pictures were gorgeous! I also love the clock! :) It is so great that you guys get to experience this!
Your photographs are incredible and the mosque is absolutely amazing! I'm sure the fam is happy to see you again!
Those pictures are so amazing! You are so lucky to see it up close--I'm sure it was even better in person.
Post a Comment