Dude. Pyramids are cool.
We left early yesterday morning in a hired van complete with driver and guide, picked up Shon and his wife Kirsten, and headed for Giza. Since it's a suburb of Cairo, we've been told that on a clear day you can see the pyramids from the city. It was not a clear day (nor have we had one since we've been here). Kevan and I were chuckling because our guide kept saying how "foggy" it was. Uh, Monterey--foggy; Cairo--not foggy. But either way, we were all pretty excited when we caught our first glimpse.
Can you see it?
Look closely...
I promise they're there.
It's almost like "Where's Waldo," except with an ancient wonder instead :)
Driving down the main road into Giza, the kids were delighted when we passed this guy, probably on his way to work at the pyramids:

Catching a glimpse over the buildings:

Getting closer:

Driving into the parking lot:

Fortunately for us, our Egyptian resident cards showed up at the embassy on Sunday, which means we were able to get into the pyramids for free. One of the guards at the gate was going to make us pay for the kids, but after we started showing him their passports (proving they belong to us) he let them in for free, too. It probably helped that Megan started smiling at him, too.
As we passed through security, I said, "Shukran" (Arabic for "thank you") to the guard who handed me my camera, and he started smiling and said, sort of excitedly, "Arbeia!" As in, "You speak Arabic!" I used my thumb and forefinger to make the sign for "a little bit." As in, "What I just said to you is pretty much the extent of my Arabic." Kevan just laughed.
Now, does it surprise you at all that we go to the last original 7th Wonder of the World and almost immediately Megan and Sam set to...playing in the dirt?

After our guide gave us a brief history of the pyramids, we got to go inside the Great one. We climbed up a long steep passageway, bent over double because of the low ceiling and then up another long steep slope (but thankfully almost upright) to end up in a small empty room (well, there was an empty--yay!-- sarcophagus inside, but that was it). Megan was not happy to be there and wanted to turn right back around, but I think the rest of us wanted to get our step-climbing effort's-worth out of the room. So the kids stuck their hands in a little hole in the wall, Kevan tested the acoustics, aaaaand...we were done. On the way back down, Kirsten and I decided we would make our fortune by designing an aerobics class patterned after this workout.
So basically, a whole lot of effort for not a lot of return, but it's still pretty cool to say we've been inside a pyramid. Oh and hey, did I mention, I've been inside a pyramid? That will probably be my go-to topic of conversation for at least a month. Aren't you all glad you don't have to go to any parties with me any time soon? I'm sure to be insufferable.
After we came back out, Megan said, "That was the sweatiest pyramid I ever been in!" As opposed to all the temperature-controlled ones she's used to visiting, I guess.
This is the kids on the outside of the Great, Sweaty Pyramid:

And here is all of us, a little blurry, but it's the best one (we had joked about "Smile pretty; this one's going on the Christmas card," but alas, it was not to be):

The obligatory "Camel at the Pyramids" shot. Thus far the whole morning, Megan had been saying, "I want to ride a camel, I want to ride a camel!" To the point where we were ready to tell her that if she said it again, no camel for her. But then as we were taking the above family picture, a camel kneeled down very close behind us so that a rider could get on, and in the process it (the camel, not the rider) made a loud noise, and Megan immediately started saying, "I don't want to ride a camel, I don't want to ride a camel!" (So much so that we were getting close to threatening her with a mandatory ride if she didn't quit it!)

There are (warning: understatement alert) a lot of peddlers around the pyramids, selling just about everything you can think of--postcards, cold drinks, trinkets, etc., even the privileges of taking pictures of them on camels (Kevan had to sneak that picture above in order to not get swooped upon for a tip), but this guy sorta snuck up on us and put these head coverings on Megan and Emma (it was fine thought; they loved it).


He also offered Kevan 50,000 camels as payment for me (apparently I'm pretty fabulous; must be my awesome Arabic), but I told him that I'm high maintenance. First for the initial outlay, but then there's also the ongoing upkeep to consider.
We went inside the tomb of the chief engineer of the pyramids and saw some hyroglyphics. Very cool. On our way out, I told the guard, "shukran," and he smiled big and said, "You live here in Egypt?!" I told him, "Yes," and then he told me that I speak Arabic very well. So the lesson here is: You only need to know one word. And to think of all that time Kevan wasted at DLI learning the whole language!
Fun with perspective, Shon edition:

And Emma:

And then Jessie, just being cute:

Our van came and picked us up and took us to a viewing area where we could see the entire complex in panorama.
Kevan and Shon, not necessarily in that order:

The two of us:

Just the pyramids:

Sam was absolutely not willing to sit for a picture, but he was happy to go down the row of kids, passing out goldfish to anyone who wanted them:

Hot, tired boy:

Then we drove over to the Sphinx. It's not really that far away, but it was
h-o-t enough, and we were all still feeling the effects of our Inner Pyramidial workout that we were grateful for the ride.

Jessica:

Jake, having some fun with his camera (this is my favorite from a series of about 5):

Emma, who is a nut (it was so bright that I couldn't see until I downloaded the pictures that she had a water bottle on her head):

See? Nut. (I knew about the bottle this time, though.) The guy behind her is our guide.

After the Sphinx, we went to a nearby restaurant for lunch. This was the view from our table:

And at our table:

Really, we had just the best time. I was expecting it to be neat, but I didn't have any idea just how amazing those structures are up close. We'll definitely be going again, and not just because we didn't get a Christmas-Card-worthy picture.
14 comments:
Wow! That is pretty exciting. It looks like that toughest part of Eygpt so far is how ho... or I mean sweaty it is there. By the way, I took the idea for capes for the birthday party from you. I just thought you should know that you get the credit. Rochelle
So super amazing. I love it! I'm sooo coming!
Looks like a blast!! Maybe we'll get magically rich on the next few months and be able to come and visit you and the sweaty pyramids! Be safe!!! Love you! :)
Great pictures! Looks like you guys are having a blast over there!
wow. that is cool. You should have come up with an aerobics class based on workout you would get from walking up the outside of the pyramid. That's pretty cool. I love Jake's picture. It was pretty funny!! Totally the "grandpapparazzi: the next generation" in training...
I'm so jealous!
I made Jake actually sit down and read this (he doesn't do blogs) and even he was way impressed with your stories and pictures. We are both dying of jealousy. And you can tell Megan that it's pretty sweaty here in Arizona, too.
Of all the amazing things to comment on I just have to say, "Whaaaat?!?!" to your family picture on your banner. What the funny family. I'm falling out of my chair laughing. Seriously.
Here's to many more posts.
~Jessica (your favorite...)
So I just found out yesterday that David is in Egypt right now too. I guess his family is joining him in a few weeks. Anyway, thought you might be interested to know that info. Linda would have more details.
I'm so jealous. Only of the heat, dirt, and tired cranky kid of course. Not the whole going in a pyramid and seeing the Sphinx thing. That just seems awful. Hehe.. But seriously though, I'm way jealous.
Wow! I sincerely hope that someday I will be able to have a day during which I can say that this is the last day I can say I have never seen the pyramids. Whew!
Love you back,
Neasy
Well, that's just so neat and exciting. I can't even think of a single comment. Wow, is right. :)
Okay. I thought of one. You and Kevan are a cute couple. I like the picture of you guys. You look pretty and skinny...but why are you wearing a long-sleeve shirt?! (Oh, I like the "young love" pictures of you guys on the side bar too...)
And the entire "high maintenance" paragraph was hilarious... :)
Post a Comment