On Friday we went to the 4th of July celebration put on by the embassy. It was held at the British school (hello, Irony, how are you?) and was quite the big deal. It was free, but you had to show your American (or Canadian, take your pick) passport to get in, and once you were in it was burgers, hot dogs, soda, popcorn, cotton candy, and cake to your heart's content. Plus several playgrounds, jumpy houses (and as my friend Kelly once said, "If there's a jumpy house, you know the Lewises are going to be there!"), big inflatable slides, and a band. The kids had a great time running around, trying very hard to do every fun thing there was and eat every bit of free food they could. Here are some of the best pictures from the evening:This is how we think Megan is going to look for most of the year here--red-faced (when we were leaving the party heading back to the cab, Megan was making conversation with our friends that were with us and said, "Egypt is the sweatiest place I've ever been. Isn't it sweaty here?"):
Jake, a budding Grandpaparazzi in the making:
Watching Sam boogie (Jess, Jake, and Kevan all had cameras trained on him; I'm holding cake):
Fun with a pinwheel:
As for what we're doing tomorrow, today Jake was asking Megan if she knew what today was (he's still enjoying the novelty of Sunday being a weekday here), and I said, "Today is the last day in your whole life you'll ever be able to say, 'I've never seen the pyramids.'"
Sunday, July 6, 2008
4th of July
Posted by Sara at 12:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Fun! I love the pictures of Sam boogie dancing, and I think it's hilarious that Jake is a "grandpaparazzi in the making". Keep having a great time! Oh, and what do you mean by Sunday is a weekday?
I dunno, I think you have to be careful with that "the last day" phrase. I couldn't count on fingers, toes, and limbs how many times someone has told me that "Today is the last day you'll ever have to pay money for A1 steak sauce again" or "Today is the last day you'll ever wish that crickets were extinct." Promises unfulfilled.
But um, I'm guessing the whole pyramid thing is actually going to work out for you guys, which should be way fun. Just watch out for the crickets.
Mika, you mean you actually pay for A1? That's a crying shame.
Kate, because Friday is the Islamic Sabbath and Egypt is an Islamic country, the work week is Sunday-Thursday. So we go to church on Friday, have Saturday as Saturday, and then start the week on Sunday. My brain is totally messed up about the days of the week trying to get used to it. I fully expect that just when I'm getting the hang of it, it will be time to move :)
What a crazy, fun, mixed up week. I think I'd like it better that way, with Sunday first then Saturday.
Good for you for taking so many pictures. Looks like a fun Fourth! Emily and Brent were here for the holiday with us, but none of us got around to getting cameras out all weekend. Oops.
And how funny is it that you had your Fourth of July celebration at the British school. Jake and I both laughed pretty hard at that one. Way to stick it to the Brits yet again, America. :)
You blog?!!!! Got your's off of Wooten's comment! How's Eygpt? Love the family picture! We miss you guys-I miss VT you! Hope your loving life!
Yeah, I love the family picture at the top of the blog too.
And...your kids are beautiful--even when sweaty. I love it that Sam was having THAT much fun with a pinwheel. :)
Post a Comment