Monday, October 13, 2008

Hey Everybody, It's Family Night

That title is for Kristen, since she's the only reason I even know that song exists. Thanks. a. lot.

So tonight for Family Home Evening we had a little bit of fun. Kevan and the kids had an Uno-athon. That's where they play as many rounds of Uno as they can before we ship them off to bed. The kids looove them the Uno. Kevan likes Uno just fine. Me? Me no likey. So my job was to spin the tunes. I will neither confirm nor deny that every other song was from Wicked.

I was also tasked with Sam control. This is akin to crowd control, but harder. Tonight it involved dancing around to aforementioned tunes and throwing paper airplanes. Sam is sort of obsessed with paper airplanes. And you may not know this about Jacob, but he's a Paper Airplane Master. He is Sam's pusher. A frequent sight at our house is Sam running to Jacob with a piece of paper in hand hollering, "Heh-pane! Heh-pane!" And before you know it, you're getting bonked in the eye by Sam's plane.

Here are a few shots of the fun. As you can see, Emma and Megan take their Uno-ing very seriously.
For some reason Emma wanted me to take a picture of her 40 billion cards. I don't think she won that round.
Megan wanted a picture, too. No, I don't know what Emma is doing.
I may be wrong about this, but do you ever get the feeling that Emma's a bit of a, I don't know... ham? No? Me neither.
This is her celebration following a long-awaited win.
Occasionally Sam would bring a little of our fun over to theirs. Also he needed Jake to make him a few more planes.
Mostly he was just happy to keep to himself, tossing the planes about. I love his expression here.
Airborne!
Sometimes the other kids came over to toss a few themselves. (There's a plane aloft in the top right third of this pic.)
Or dance. At least I think that's what she's doing.
I kept trying to get Sam to show me his plane, but that proved a little difficult. I have a lot of shots like this.
And this. He is adept at moving away the second I press the button.
See?
And then there's this new thing we've been encountering with Sam. Most kids who, when they catch sight of a camera, smile or give some one next to them bunny ears or, well, Emma. But not Sam. No, he does this:
He thinks it is truly hilarious.

Finally I got a good shot. No, it is not fuzzy. You're just wiggly.
Now this one is fuzzy, but I'm including it because it makes me laugh. This picture was taken at the exact same moment that the camera got fwapped by Sam's plane.
Anytime you'd like to join us for a little FHE, come on over. Be prepared though--to survive with this crowd you need to have a taste for Uno, know all the words to Defying Gravity* (and have no qualms about jumping on the table to properly sing the end of it)(not that that happened or anything), and/or fold a mean paper airplane.

*High on my list of Things I Love About Megan is that she calls this song "Flying Off the Handlebars." If you don't know what that means, listen to the first line of it.

14 comments:

Nancy said...

You're on.

We brought Spin UNO with us.

And Andrew's been dying to play a good round of Killer UNO (I won't play it with him alone because sometimes he makes me cry when he wins too much).

And I'm pretty sure we know all the words to every song on Wicked. Seriously.

And we forgot about FHE this week (uh, oops. We put Rachel to bed and played Hand and Foot with Andrew's mom and didn't realize it was Monday until I read your blog just now) so we have some serious need of repentance.

Anytime, really, we're up for it.

Nancy said...

Oh, and Andrew makes me cry because he can be brutal. Not because I'm a wimp.

Well, maybe I'm a little bit of a wimp.

Jaime said...

We love Uno too and often play for family home evening. It's a game that we can all enjoy and all can play. I love all the personality that you capture in the pictures you take of your children!

Wendi said...

I loved this post! What fun you all have with all those great personalities in your family. :)

Kelly said...

I loved those photos. I especially liked how intense Kevan looked in most all of them. UNO is big at your house!

I am also beginning to think that Alessandra and Sam are related. I know, that sounds crazy, but they have so many darn similarities!

Ah, weep, weep. Someday they will play together.... but for now your family remains "are those the people that live in the Pyramids mom?" (actual quote from Olivia)

Happy Thoughts!

Sarah said...

I would love to come over for FHE! Wish I could looked like fun. Sarah Laflan

Lydia said...

C'mon everybody it's family night, I've already got phone off the hook! Eliza & Mairyn are great Uno players. Mairyn can be a bit ruthless with the "special cards" as she calls the skip, draw 2, etc.

Jarad said...

So Isaiah can compete with Sam for funny smiles. When we tell him to smile, he blinks his eyes. We have no idea why and we can't get him to watch us when we try to show him.

Libby said...

What a fun night. If this is a Uno night..is next week a Doso night? I think you are a great mom...and dad.

Kelly said...

okay, so I am looking at your blog again (call me obsessed, I check it every day). Anyway, the song "Ladies night" popped into my head (of course with "family" in the place of "ladies"). Now I can't stop singing it (and I can't think of all the words so I just keep doing the only part I know....

Sara said...

Oh Nancy, you haven't seen crying-at-Uno until you've played with Emma and Megan. They're getting better, but oh my. Heaven help anyone who hollers "Uno!" on them before they do when they have it.

Hi Jaime! Even Sam loves Uno. He likes to carry around a few numbers and then yell, "Win!"

Hi Wendi! Thanks. Sometimes methinks we have a little too much personality around here.

Kelly, my niece thinks we live in the pyramids, too. No matter what my brother tell her, she is convinced that's our house. I say, let her think that--I need all the help I can get on the cool-o-meter of small children. Also, your version of that song is way better than the original :)

Sarah! Come on over! Oh, wait...

Lydia, Emma and Jake call them the "good cards."

Rochelle, I love Isaiah. I hope you take the picture anyway! (And then post it on your blog!)

Hi Aunt Libby! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh how we love "fa-heee"(FHE)! And Uno as well. I think every family has a "ham", I'm convinced it's usually the 3rd child!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marybeth said...

The Uno tradition runs back to the 70s and 80s. Sara and Nathan and Teri and friends--in various combinations--would stage Uno games that required a new rule with each round. All players had to remember every new rule or they would be disqualified. As you might imagine, everyone's memory became very, very good because everyone, like Emma, wanted to be the last one standing. I think that this served everyone's advantage over me because our house rules were really like this form of an Uno game: every house rule became game for a cleverly crafted loophole. When one was found it was stretched to the limit, and then I would have to find a way to close it--thereby creating a new rule. Then a new loophole, a new rule and so on. Of course they had better memories and better "beyond the rules" thinking so this all became very complicated! All the rules were pretty much dropped when they left the house for the first time (yes, they came back more than once) and then we started a new game, which was really more fun because nothing was enforceable and I stopped taking it seriously!