Saturday, October 25, 2008

Arabia: Old, New, and...Scandinavian?

Greetings from the Arabian peninsula! I managed to get internet connectivity long enough to post a few pictures.

Predating the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by at least a century, this is the facade of a building that is part of a huge renovation project in a place called Dirayah, north of Riyadh, which was the original home of the Saudi family.


A much newer mosque nearby.


This very modern building, is comprised of a giant mall on the first three floors (the top floor of which is for women only), offices, and a restaurant in the main part of the tower, and the Four Seasons Hotel on the prongs of the "bottle opener."


A view of Riyadh from the sky-bridge on the "bottle opener."


A popular site downtown, the Masmak Castle, or Qasr Al-Masmak is the site of a battle where Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud returned to the region and took it by force, marking the beginning of what became the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.


When you have a lot of money--I mean a lot of money--you can buy whatever you want. You can drive your Rolls-Royce or Bentley to your palaces and castles, but you must have an ergonomic and comfortable way to furnish the lavish real estate, found here:

4 comments:

T J V said...

Dude, is that an IKEA? LOVE IT!!! It must be comforting to know that if you ever need cheap cinnamon roll or bag of 100 tealights for only $1.99 you are good to go.

Katie said...

LOVE Ikea, and LOVE that there is an IKEA there. i bet they have even more fashionable washer and dryer covers there...

Sara said...

I only wish that Ikea were here! Kev's in Saudi Arabia for the next month, so he's seeing way cooler stuff than me.

Personally, I think showing off the Ikea is just mean. Humph. Though...maybe I'll send him a shopping list of stuff to bring home...

jendoop said...

My in-laws lived in Ras Tanura for almost 20 years. They would go to Riyadh for shopping, now I know why.