Sunday, June 29, 2008

Newsflash! Egypt is hot!

So we've been here for almost 36 hours now, and about, oh, 35 hours ago we declared an at least year-long hiatus on anyone at any time declaring themselves to be "hot" (unless, of course, they're speaking aesthetically; that's always permissable ;), because, well, no duh.

Our trip here was looong, made longer by He Who Shall Not Be Liked refusing to fall asleep except for the first and last hours of the 11-hour flight. Lucky for him, we've already forgiven him, what with his extreme cuteness and all.

We flew from Salt Lake to JFK and arrived 20 minutes early, which we thought was great, since we only had an 80-minute layover to begin with. And then we sat on the runway for an hour and a half waiting for a gate. Thank goodness we brought along Kevan and his mad running-while-carrying-two-heavy-bags-and-two-heavier-children skillz. We got to the gate after the last boarding call, but made it on board in the nick of time. And then we sat on the runway for another hour. So fun! The flight itself was fine. The flight attendants and the people around us were all nice and very helpful, and the kids were well-behaved (even though we had somehow managed to forget to bring more than four crayons, go figure). Megan was next to the only seat on the whole plane that was empty, and she totally sprawled when she slept. I thought for sure the really big guy that was on the other side of the empty seat would take it over, but he kept himself tightly confined in his seat the whole time. It was pretty funny to see him--big, tall, and big--only taking up one seat, and her--short, little, and tiny--taking up two. She even had a leg in the aisle. Megan also gets credit for our favorite quote of the flight: when I took her on her second visit to the bathroom, we went to the back instead of the ones nearer our seats because the line was shorter, and when we squeezed into it, she said, "Hey! This is just like the other one! Only grosser!"

According to the map that showed us where our plane was, we flew over some really cool places, but it was always either too dark or too cloudy to see anything. By the time we had a combination of both sunshine and clear skies, we were already past all land and could only see the Mediterranean. We flew right over downtown Cairo (but didn't go far enough south to see the pyramids, unfortunately), and the kids were really excited to see the Nile. Sam's favorite part, I think, was the bus that took us from the plane to the terminal. It has "lellow" handles to hang on to, see, and that is very cool. We were met in the airport by an "expediter" from the embassy who took our passports and then basically whisked us through customs. 7 people, 14 bags, 1 hour at the airport--not a bad deal! The Marine who's finishing up her FAO training year here met us outside with two embassy vans and took us to the hotel. I guess I've been driving with Kevan for too long, because what I experienced of the crazy Cairo driving didn't phase me too much. Though, in fairness, traffic was pretty light. The kids enjoyed seeing the 3 donkey carts we passed, the bull in the back of the tiny pick-up truck, and the guy sleeping on top of a full truckload of watermelons.

We spent the afternoon trying to stay awake, with varying degrees of success, and finally decided to give up and go get dinner at 3:30. We walked to a near-by restaurant, ate, and then made our way back. And I know that I've had a pretty mild introduction to it thus far, and I know we're in one of the better neighborhoods, but I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to use the phrase "taking your life into your own hands" in regards to being a pedestrian in Cairo.

The food and the walk succeeded in waking us all up enough to make it to bedtime, and we all slept really deeply. Kevan got up early this morning to go in to the embassy, and I got up with him, but only made it about two hours before I had to go back to bed. The kids were still asleep, so I figured I'd just sleep until they woke up. At noon, I woke to a phone call and discovered that everyone was still racked out. Megan was the hardest to wake up, but I finally got us all up, fed, and dressed. The kids thought it was just the neatest thing that we had breakfast at 12:30. I aim to please. Jessica pronounced it to be her first act of "teenage sleeping 'til noon." We spent the rest of the day in much the same way--lazy as all get out. We experimented with some Egyptian food for dinner, with several hits and couple of misses, but it was fun to try.

Oh, and they told Kevan today that we should be able to move into our apartment on the 9th. The kids are so happy that Sam doesn't have to be homeless for his birthday.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I'm so glad you guys made it okay!! I loved the post, I feel like I was there! Keep the updates coming!

I almost had a nervous breakdown on the flight home from Utah, so I don't know HOW you did that long of a flight with Sam, but am glad all has been forgiven ;).

Katie said...

Glad you guys got there, and got to sleep all day. Sounds like you guys are in for a pretty cool year. I have to admit, I'm just a little jealous...it sounds great. Take some good pictures for us. Love all you guys lots!

Robin said...

Hey guys, Welcome to Africa! You've already made a key discovery on the heat. I decided on the flight over never to even acknowlege it and it works much better than complaining all the time. I crossed the Nile where it starts in Uganda last week, so that is our connection...it just feels homie to have you guys on the same continent.

Kelly said...

Happy to get the update! Welcome to your new home! WOW, how strange is that? So sad we missed you on our cross country path crossing, but maybe next time! :) Keep us posted on the new sites, sounds and tastes (as there have GOT to be Egyptian doughnuts somewhere). Love to you all!

Wendi said...

Hee! Heee! What a fun post. You even make flying to Egypt sound fun. How DO you do it?! :)