Saturday, June 14, 2008

Houston, we have a teenager!

On Thursday, Jessica turned 13. She immediately started slamming doors, being alternately flippant and sullen, and listening to loud music. We immediately locked her in her room. She will be released on her 20th birthday. You can tell by the picture the extreme personality change that has come over her. We just don't know what else to do.

A few months ago, Jessica asked if we would still be in California for her birthday, and was disappointed to hear that we wouldn't. But when I told her we would be in Utah, the wheels in her brain started turning, and she exclaimed, "That means HOLLY can make my birthday cake!"

Now, for those of you who don't know my friend Holly, she is pretty great. We met in 7th grade English in 1985, and we still like each other. We attribute the longevity of our friendship to many things--shared likes, dislikes, and shoe size, to name a few--but truly, it all boils down to a shared love: baked goods. When we were freshmen, we would walk everyday from school to downtown Salt Lake and go to the basement of ZCMI where we would buy 33 cent giant donuts (seriously, those puppers were HUGE! and 33 cents!) and eat them on the way to catch the bus home. (Oh to have my teenage metabolism back.) Well, several years ago, Holly took this love of all things pastry beyond merely appreciation and consumption and into the realm I like to call "Show Off." Oh, I kid. She took up cake decorating, and the girl is seriously awesome. Over the years she's made a few cakes for some of my kids if our visits to Utah or her visits to us have coincided with their birthdays, and a couple of years ago she mailed me a cake for my birthday (told you--awesome!), but she's never made one for Jess. So you can see why the thought of getting a Holly Cake was enough to take away the sting of not being with her friends on her entrance to teenage-dom. Boy howdy did Holly come through.

Behold:
And it tasted even better than it looks!

6 comments:

Marshall and Alison said...

Does Holly do this for a living? If not, she should! Happy Birthday Jessica!

Jaime said...

That is the cutest cake! It'll be fun to see what your family is up to even now that you're gone.

gunnarson said...

Happy 13th Jessica! She told me all about your friend who made cakes and sent shoes one night on the way to babysitting. Hope all is well with the move and would love to see you all if we could before you leave Utah. Please keep in touch!

Katie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the piece you sent home with me. I still have some left, but man is it delicious! Happy 13th Jessi! Maybe for your birthday I'll let you be taller than I am finally. ;)

Kelly said...

Happy (late) birthday teenager! AND, for the record, I love Holly too (even though we haven't ever met), just due to her love of baked goods!

Wendi said...

Yay for Holly and her cakes! (Oh, hi, Holly gave me your blog link today. I'm just a little behind in the reading. You two are the funniest writers I know.) :)