This is why you have children. And keep them, even though you didn't get more than 43 minutes of sleep cumulative during their first year of life. Not only are they cute all dressed up, but they bring you home piles of candy. (And eventually they go to bed and stop telling you which ones you can't have.)
Megan originally wanted to be an angel, and I was cool with that, but when I got to the fabric store, I got a headache from trying to choose a pattern...and fabrics...and then thinking about sewing it. So I went home, pulled out the Halloween box, and geared myself up for the arduous process of talking Meg into being a witch instead (Emma's costume from 2006). I barely had part of the hat out of the box, and was saying, "How about instead..." and she said, "Ok! I'll be a witch!" Easier than it should have been, but I ain't complaining. Not two minutes later, she asked, "And do I get to wear a wig?" Honey, you just saved me from countless hours of sewing/cussing (they are one and the same for me), you can wear anything on your head that you want!
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Making the Sleepless Nights Worth It, One Candy Bar at a Time
She also liked getting to wear lipstick. Fancy!
Emma originally wanted to be a mobster, like Jake, but again my inability to wrap my head around how to make that happen led me to the dress-up box and Jessica's costume from 2006. It was again a lot easier than it could have been. The thing that sealed the deal was the same thing that convinced Jess to go along with this costume option--the magic words: "I'll let you wear make-up."
This was, however, a tactical error on Emma's part. Now that we know what she looks like in make-up, it will never happen for her in real life. And she's likely to spend the rest of her formative years locked in her room.
Seriously! Who looks good in purple eyeshadow?!? Apparently Emma.
And she owes her Grandpa Lewis a thank you note pronto for passing on the genetics behind those eyelashes.
Jacob took some time settling on a costume, but when he did, he put it together himself really quickly. All I had to do was get him a hat. Thank you for making my life easier, Jake.
I think this was his favorite part:
And Sam. Oh Sam. This poor child has no recollection whatsoever of anything Halloween, so any discussion of the holiday only led to fits. Any and all suggestions for costumes were met with the scream, "I be NOTHING for Halloween!" Even the purchase of a Lightning McQueen treat bucket and the promise of lots of candy did nothing (nor did the threat of no costume = no candy)(who's kid is he, anyway? sooooo not mine). And then last week he told me that he wanted to be his daddy. Hallelujah that worked. (Also hallelujah that my friend across the street already had the uniform, so I didn't have to go buy one!)(Though I would have, and happily, just because he had finally agreed to something!)
So here is Captain Lewis in miniature:
And no, the boy never holds still. In that second picture there, he's saluting, in case you can't tell. Which, I totally couldn't. Jake had to tell me that's what it was. He's also saying "Sir, Yes, Sir!" According to Jake, the salute was Sam's idea, but he taught Sam to say that.
And now Jessica. The thing that kicked this whole costume off was the gift (after hearing that Jess wanted to be an 80s chick) of authentic. electric blue. spandex. stirrup pants from my friend Holly's vintage clothing and accessories shop on Etsy. And then it just snowballed. I may have had a little too much fun with it.
Yes, that hair is all hers. And no, I never wore it like that. I will admit to having some, er, height to my bangs, but I never did succumb to the width.
Copping a little 80s attitude. The only discernible difference between that and the '09 attitude is the hair. And the pants. Also the eyeshadow.
You should know that the bow came from the underskirt of a Belle costume that I stole out of the dress-up box. I needed something to keep Jess from being overtaken by the hair, and it was a stroke of pure genius.
And here they are all together:
You knew Lightning would make an appearance at some point, right?)
Happy Halloween!
Posted by Sara at 12:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
Wow! They look awesome!
And, yes, Emma should not be allowed out of the house with her face all dolled up like that. Jessie, on the other hand, is more than welcome to. :)
I'm impressed you even thought about sewing a costume. I don't think that thought has ever crossed my mind. Rachel doesn't even know what trick-or-treating is. Next year will be interesting...
Amazing! I think that you are right about the makeup thing. Especially since you obviously have your hands full with Jessica all ready.
Yay for speedy picture posting. I had a phone call late last night from a picture deprived sister in law that wanted me to post pics NOW!! I'll do it.
They are all too wonderful, just like their mama!
Great costumes! I love little Captain Lewis. Adorable. :)
I'm so glad you posted the pictures on here (along with the fun commentary) as well as on Facebook. The pictures are even better when you can see them up close. Seriously, Sara, your family has more good looks AND humor than any other that I know. You people never fail to make me smile. :)
How did we not run into you while trick or treating!? I love your kid's costumes! Jess' hair brings back memories... very Madonna in her "lucky star" stage.
LOVE the costumes! Especially Jess'. Your kids are so cute!!!
Your are incrediable!! Love all you do. Lots of love,
Aunt Pearl
Miss those kids. Oh, and you too. :)
Nancy, until a couple of years ago, I actually sewed most of their costumes. It was the one time a year I sewed, actually. Which probably explains why my skill level is right on par with doll clothes and Halloween costumes. And here's my tip for next year: make sure it's still light out when you go trick-or-treating. We got to the ward trunk-or-treat late, and it was already dark, and Sam? Totally freaked out. So we started out on Halloween before dark, and it was much better. He even said, "I like Halloween when it's daytime!"
Cami, lol! Thank goodness Jess is so darn good!
Lydia, I can't take too much credit for it, since the only reason I got it done so fast was because Kev left for a different base today. He won't have regular access to the internet for a couple of months, and I wanted him to be able to see the kids in their costumes before he left. Like I said before, pity blogging ;)
Thanks, Christina, we had a lot of fun with it :)
Wendi, you really are the sweetest thing. I think I need to hire you as my PR rep ;)
Bonnie, I don't know, but I do know you weren't home when we came by your house, like you're too good to give us free candy or something. Whatever. By the way, thanks for the free costume.
Thanks, Ang!
Thanks, Aunt Pearl. Love you, too!
Mel! I'm lame and owe you an e-mail! Miss you, love you, and AMERICAN!
Sara, that last picture is so wonderful. That should be blown up and framed. I love it. p.s. you had your head half shaved as I recall... was that the eighties or the nineties?
Wicked.
Hi Sara,
I wanted to let you know that we changed our blog address. We wanted to take out our last name from the address. If you want to view our blog please go to http://bcfamilymemories.blogspot.com/.
Thanks,
Christina
I think I like the mobster. He looks a little too real. Maybe I just love 6th graders....you should be happy...no blood...just black.(with a tie)
Has Jess thought about modeling? HELLOOOOO! Those legs! No one can pull of blue shiny pants like her, no one.
Should I look through my picture stash to prove that you did look a lot like your daughter in these Halloween pictures? Idle threat though, because I'd embarrass myself too.
Captain Lewis is too cute!! They all are, but he takes the prize.
We should have totally, like gotten our girls together for the 80's Halloween Festivities! You're kids look great and the best thing? It's W-A-R-M where you are! (lucky you!).
Sara, this has to be one of the all-time best posts for this Grandma, who didn't get to see the trick-or-treaters until after their candy was all gone. Each one is great--and reading your comments was equally enjoyable.
The comments about make-up? That is one of those "I told you so" situations, so no further comment from me is needed at all!!!!
CL
PS Can I have a copy of their group shot to put in my Christmas newsletter this year? j/k
You ROCK! Okay, so not only do you have a great looking family, with adorable kids (yes, the same ones who didn't let you sleep), they look so awesome dressed up!
I can't believe that's all Jessica's hair. wow. Teasing really does add... volume. to understate it.
Everything you said - you got right - so handsome/pretty/cute/fun/great.
I knew looking at your blog in the middle of the night was the right way to perk me up! :) (see, my baby isn't letting me sleep either.)
Post a Comment