So, I know I said in my very first post that I prefer to post pictures and tell no stories, but the other day an incident occurred that changed my view...for now, at least.
The scene: Your average, every-day gas station in Cairo. I pull in and roll down the window, waiting for the attendant to inform me with some surprise that my gas cap is missing. He did, and I informed him that it had been stolen, as I always do. I was waiting for the surprised response that I speak Arabic, when something absolutely hilarious happened.
The smiley attendant began conversing in broken but rapid-fire English. It was no surprise to me that an English-speaking Egyptian would want to show off his linguistic prowess, but this guy really set a new standard.
The Prelude: He began by asking where I was from, and then moved on to how much he loved Americans, and followed up with some other stuff I don't recall because all I can remember was what he said when he looked in and saw Sara in the passenger seat.
The Show: In a heavy accent, but with a great deal of fluency, the smiley attendant submitted the following for my information:
SA: "Zis your seester?"
Me (in Arabic): "She's is my wife."
SA (with great enthusiasm): "Ohhhhh,"
SA (speaking of Sara): "Meester...I tell you...your wife...you are...beau-ti-ful!"
SA (now in Shakespearean monologue mode and half looking at me, half looking at Sara): "Your hair...is...soft! And your...eyes is...very nice! And your face...is...fan-tas-tic!"
SA (now wiping the mirror): "You will have a...good life because...you have zis...woman."
Me (in Arabic): "You are very generous. Thank you."
SA (still amazed at his own ability to get that out): "Yes, yes."
The Aftermath: So for the past two days, Sara has been "Fantastic Face" and I can't say for sure when something else will push that name out of the spotlight.
I am continually entertained with foreign English, written and spoken, but this one tops everything else in Egypt.
See? Soft, very nice, and fantastic!
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
I Couldn't Have Said it Better Myself
Posted by Kevan at 2:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Agreed! btw- for some reason, my brain read this in a "Nacho Libre" accent. It's hilarious. I can't wait to actually HEAR you re-tell this. :) great story!
Great story! I'm going to have to show that to Albert. You are lucky to have her and she is beautiful.
My favorite story that you guys have written..and he and you are right. She is fantastic!
SO FANTASTIC. I love both of your fantastic faces and hope at some point we live in the same country again... :) Miss you.
I gotta say, it was an honor to be present at that special occasion. Truly hysterical. :)
Aw, Sara really is so pretty. I've always thought so. :) Thanks for the fun story and posting the picture too. :)
'Sup Fantastic Face? So, I read this to Jake last night (cuz he don't read so good all by hisself these day, what with all the narcotics) and he thought it was one of the best things he'd ever heard. He keeps walking around randomly laughing and saying, "Ha! Fantastic Face! That's funny."
Will you tell fantastic face hello? I miss her.
What a great story. Thanks for sharing. Too sweet. And that is such a great picture of Sara. :)
I agree! Sarah is fantastic face! I remember growing up wanting to look JUST like her...but the glasses and frizzy red hair got in the way....
Did Sara vomit when she read this post? I can just imagine that fantastic face making a gagging gesture at the sappy factor.
Despite that, I agree and look forward to see that fantastic face soon!
I really like it when the face goes with the personality! Both are amazing! Best thing you ever did Kevan...to marry her.
What a great story! I'll agree with the Shakespearean. :)
Post a Comment