So, Jake and I went camping on the shore of the Red Sea with troop 701 last weekend. Here are some pictures:
First, for those of you who care, here is a map of the area--Cairo on the upper left, and Ain Sukhna (Hot Springs), a tiny town about 80 miles southeast of Cairo.
When we got arrived, we snorkeled with friends from the branch, Jake's first time I believe. If I had a waterproof camera, I could show you the variety of small tropical fish, just 15 feet off the shore.Jake and I had a great time in the water, and only swallowed a little saltwater.
The waves were not big, but made a spectacular spume as they splashed off the rip-rap on the shore.
This is a picture of a highly developed eco-can, that has evolved to blend in with its natural environment. No, really.
There is nothing unique about scouts hovering around the fire, but I liked the way the fire cast a spooky shadow on the wall.
Jake was up early enough to start a fire and wait for everyone else to wake up.
After breakfast the scouts took to the water on their canoes and with masks and snorkels. A pod of dolphins appeared and swam around the scouts inquisitively for about 5 minutes before continuing on. Note the tanker on the horizon, 30 miles or so out of the Suez canal.
and here's a mound of two-tone desert rock with traces of iron, one of the only colorful parts of the drive.
The whold drive reminds me of the road between Price and Monticello in central Utah. The area is so sparse, you can never be quite sure if the power lines were built next to the road, or if the road was built to maintain the power lines.
This is representative of most loads in Egypt. There's always room for more, whether driven by a camel, horse, or combustion engine.
Approaching the eastern outskirts of Cairo, you can see the two most prolific types of buildings. Mosques and concrete tenements.
6 comments:
Great narration Kevvy-D! Looks like you guys had a good time. What cool experiences you and your family are experiencing!
Cool pictures Kev! Jakey-boy is so cute and looks like you had a really fun time. Very cool...
And I thought Jake just living in Egypt would automatically qualify him for an Eagle! ;)
I was wondering when you would post again Kevan! Wow, the scouts let you lead? What did they sign up for? Glad to hear you and Jake had a great time. Who knew you could be in Egypt and the Boy Scouts of America would be doing good deeds all over?
I am so jealous of the dolphins! That is very cool.
Ain Sukhna reminds me an awful lot of "Awww... SUCKER!!"
Just been thinking about that for awhile.
Post a Comment