To round out our day of birthday-that-had-never-occurred-to-us celebration/day off from school (potayto, potahto), Monday evening we went with the Penrods again to have a bonfire in the desert. There's a park/recreational area of sorts just outside of our neighborhood called Wadi Degla. We've been hiking there before (again, another great opportunity to link you to a witty post full of beautiful pictures...that I never wrote), but this was our first time both getting pretty deep into the area and eating s'mores there. That's the only reason I believe fire should exist--so that s'mores can be created. Kevan doesn't agree with me on that, but he's wrong.
Driving into the park:One of the many neat rock formations:
A self-and-Jess-portrait:
The area where we built the s'mores-cooking contraption:
What did I tell you? Jessie's kind of a big deal. Here she is with Eliza:
And Mairyn (who, for the record, tried to stick her hip out, but couldn't do it and keep her balance):
All of the mountain goats, er, children started climbing up the hill:
But only the oldest four made it all the way up (I promise you they're up there; look closely):
A close(r) up:
More climbing, different area:
Wanna take a guess on what's in Sam's hand here?
Or what just left his hand here?At one point we noticed that Megan and Mairyn had gone off mountain-goating on their own and had almost made it to the top:
So Jess and Jake were dispatched to help them get back down (wasn't it helpful of them to wear bright colors?):
Jake had a lot of fun with the kites:

I'm not sure what Emma and Eliza had the most fun doing: climbing, flying kites, or giggling. I'm going to guess it was a toss-up.
Sam had a lot of fun watching the fire.

The last of the daylight over our s'mores-site:
And from where Kevan, Spencer, and some of the children were flying kites:

And then we saw the thisclose-to-full moon rise.
Kevan's view:
And mine:
Thursday, March 12, 2009
The rest of the party
Posted by Sara at 3:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You're a stinker and finally posted :) Love the picture of you and Sam. Miss you (Has it been a decade since I've seen you IRL?) and hope you're home from all your adventures soon so I can see you. I know, wishful thinking.
Great pics and beautiful kids.
I love this post!!! Sam looks so grown up these days. I love the pictures of you and him and you in the car mirror. And the sky is just beautiful. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. Thanks for posting. :)
I vicariously visit Egypt through your blog. I figure, it's safer and cheaper that way and I get what would be a half day tour in just minutes!
While everyone else is eating s'mores, I just eat the chocolate. Melted marshmallows push me past my tolerance for sweet.
Speaking of (tolerably) sweet, your kids sure are!
So basically you went all the way to Egypt to show your children what Southern Utah looks like. Now you need to go Elat and tell them that this is their Bullfrog marina. If you're lucky you might find a houseboat. I don't have any hopes for you to be able to recreate the Alan waterskiing experience, but hey, you can say you tried.
Nathan
We like your "beach party"....looks like the ones we had in Monterey! LOL At least you had s'mores...we love that!
Sarah!
This is Daniel Allred.
Nice blog. Only thing missing from the canyon here is some bleeps and squeaks from R2D2.
Post a Comment