Monday, December 22, 2008

Tunisia Day 1: Trunk Passengers, Fancy Doors, and Opera

So Sara and I took a little trip to Tunisia...because we could. We have stories and pictures. This is the first of a few Tunisia posts.

We knew we were going to have a great trip when we saw this on the way to the airport here in Cairo, from our taxi. If your car is already stuffed full of friends and loved ones, but you need room for two more, maybe you can try this:

Our first afternoon in Tunis, we walked around the old city, through narrow, winding alleyways. The doors are the fanciest things about the buildings, and we saw some good ones. Here are three pictures from the old city.



The archways on the bigger buildings--mosques and schools mostly--were intricately designed. Also from the old city:

On the main street in Tunis, I stopped the car and got this picture of the national theater. There is more than a little French influence in Tunisia and the theater/opera house definitely shows it.

There are more installments, and I will let Sara do some writing. She has better stories.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I really like door # 3. (and my prize is . . .?) There is a frame at the framers shop in the Maadi Grand Mall that would match that perfectly, metal studs and all! So jealous!

Linnea said...

I really like door #2. wWe have a frame that would mach perfictly.